WHO ARE THE LIONHEARTS
Started in 2005, Lionhearts are a junior bicycle racing team within the club Cincinnati Cyclocross Inc. Lionhearts focus on cyclocross because it is the best discipline for people under the age of 15 to get started in racing. Lionhearts do also race road and mountain bikes, but the focus is on cyclocross. Lionhearts is open to anyone within the greater Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky metropolitan area who will be 17 years old or younger on Dec 31st, 2014.
The Lionhearts take their name from an excellent historical book called “Hearts of Lions: The Story of American Bicycle Racing” by Peter Nye. This book tells the stories of the period when the USA was the hub of international bicycle racing, and the Lionhearts aspire to contribute to the resurgence of the sport in the US that is currently underway.
Purpose of the Team
- Help those who love cycling to get started on the racing side, using the discipline of cyclocross. Kids may ultimately prefer other disciplines (road, mountain, etc) but cyclocross is the best place to start. We are not “elite” only.
- Help develop the skills and habits of an effective racer. Technical skills, training, how to use equipment, nutrition, etc.
- Provide a growth platform for aspiring racers in the 15+ age group that includes coaching in fitness and racing tactics, and opportunities for formation in leadership and service.
- Help parents in their work to raise strong and virtuous young men and women.
WHAT CINCINNATI CYCLOCROSS LIONHEARTS PROVIDE
- A team social environment
- Direction and advice on starting and advancing in the sport
- Privileged access to our sponsors products and services
- Age and ability appropriate racing and training opportunities designed for juniors
- Instruction in acquiring the virtues of a racing cyclist.
- We are also working to increase our ability to provide Access to coaching and race day support.